[3830] NCCC Sprint KW9A(K0DXC) LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu May 28 20:31:23 PDT 2009

                    NCCC Sprint - May 29

Call: KW9A
Operator(s): K0DXC
Station: K0DXC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Jackson, OH

   80:  15     11
   40:  14     12
   20:   6      4
Total:  35     27  Total Score = 945

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

I will be QRV as KW9A in WPX CW tomorrow so I decided to use the call in the NS
tonight.

I should have stuck with K0DXC. I had no callsign recognition this week and
that really impacted my score. A few times people didn't come back to me just
because they heard more familiar calls. In addition to that, about 5 stations
busted me as KW8A. A few others were confused with my name and state.

I had a few keying problems. Nothing locked up this week, but the CW would
jumble itself occasionally. I used my new Begali HST key to hand send some of
the Q's.

I DID post my audio this week. Normally I wouldn't, but I didn't post last week
so I may as well post this week. Please keep in mind that because I am using a
new balanced line antenna, I had to MANUALLY tune it each time I switched
bands. That is why you hear the carriers and me "not doing anything". Audio is
on my website on the HOME PAGE (I'm only putting K0DXC contests in the audio
section) in blog form.

A direct audio link - http://k0dxc.com/audio/kw9a-52209-ns

20 meters was bad for me but I couldn't go to 40 early because everyone else
was on 20! I checked 40 5 minutes in to NS and heard no one there. So I went
back to 20 with the vertical (no time to re-tune dipole) and didn't work anyone
because the vert is not a great antenna on 20 at night.

40 was good, but I couldn't work anyone because nobody knew who I was!

80 was very noisy but still workable. Of course, nobody knew who I was.

When a few people heard the "KID OH" exchange they told me congrats on the new
call. Ha! I still need to pass the extra. :(

Anyways, I still DO NOT like the no dupe rule and I highly advise that it is
not given a "go" for next years ladder. I don't care if you work more mults,
the rate gets worse. The NS is a FUN thing where dupes SHOULD be allowed. If
dupes are discarded then the next move will be allowing mults ONCE. As someone
commented on the NS reflector - "The flexibility of NS is a double edged
sword". Yes you can change it, but DON'T FIX WHAT AINT BROKE! It will end up
biting you in the behind.

Hope to work everyone in WPX CW this weekend.

73,
Cal, K0DXC (KW9A)