[3830] NAQP CW WI2E Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sat Jan 9 22:20:50 PST 2010

                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: WI2E
Operator(s): WI2E
Station: WI2E

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: PA

   15:   19     6
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  582   141  Total Score = 82,062

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Great contest.  I didn't know what to expect, but I'm pleased with the result.
Some random thoughts at this early hour of the morning:

I spent 1.5 hours out in the cold erecting a low (~25 ft.) dipole for 40M/80M,
and the work paid off handsomely. I was actually able to run on 80M. Thanks to
Eric, NO3M, for encouraging me to branch out beyond my verticals.

I still need to find a solution for the high bands as the beginning of this one
was painful.  I just couldn't run on the phased verticals.

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that my multiplier totals cascade from
160M on down; I guess I like it when darkness falls.

A number of computer hang-ups along the way that caused mayhem from time to
time. My apologies to those on the receiving end of those.  I'm going to have
to find a solution before the ARRL DX CW.

A fun end to the contest: the rate had dropped off in the final half-hour but I
found 3 multipliers in the final 15 minutes on 160M for a strong finish.

I was plagued by some very loud oscillating noise on 80M around dinner time
that masked all but the strongest signals.  I have never heard it before
(although I'm not usually on 80M that early). However, my active  receive
system came to the rescue--allowing me to eliminate the noise entirely and have
my best hour of the contest.

Nice to work many of the Thursday Night Contesting crowd. Those events really
helped me in this one as nearly 1/3 of my QSOs were on the second radio.

Rigs: K3, TS-940S
Antennas: dipoles (2 -- one at 25 ft., the other at 16 ft.); phased multi-band
verticals (40M-10M); 43 ft. vertical (40M) / quarter-wave inverted-L (80M) / L
with the tuner (160M); two active receive verticals
Software: N1MM

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs!

73,

Joe