[3830] ARRLDX CW F6GOX SOSB/80 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 20 14:17:38 EST 2017

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: F6GOX
Operator(s): F6GOX
Station: F6GOX

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: FRANCE

Total:  480    46  Total Score = 66,240

Everything had started badly when I arrived at the QRA: the storm had put all
the wired antennas on the ground. Even an aluminum tube antenna support was
broken. Only the TH11DX and the DeKerf tower did not have any damage. The
priority of Friday was therefore to clean the wood with the help of a
woodcutter. The question was the choice of the band for the ARRL? The choice
was made on a quarter wave 80m TX antenna and on a DHDL rx antenna. But I have
not the time to settle all that. Also the SWR was quite high the first night. I
would settle this better on Saturday and get a two antenna two vertical elements
for the second night.

The first night's spread was good for me, with 300 QSO and 43/63 multi. I was
very surprised to contact California through the call of K6TA to 0420z, with a
good signal. It was the only station from the west coast. The spread at sunrise
was good. The surprise was also to hear ZL3X loud and clear, about two hours
before its sunset!

Even if I am a rather slow operator in telegraphy, I hoped to double the qso
number on the second night. Unfortunately the second night was worse, with only
180 qso and 3 multipliers. There was a "dead zone", made up of the US
states and the Canadian provinces of the northwest. No station heard here ...
And also I went to sleep two hours, too tired by the forestry work... Sunday
morning was good with QSO more than an hour after my sunrise. On Sunday
evenings, N8EA (MI) contacted at 2218z, one hour before his sunset.

I'm glad I made an honorable score. This year, the world first score are high.
A score than more than 100,000 points seems necessary for the Top Ten entry...
I hope my score of 66,240 points will not be too diminished by the correction.

I spent a great time. Next goal is to improve antennas and speed in CW. Thank
you for all your calls and see you soon for other contests. I hope to have time
to mount a new 160m antenna for the CQ 160m of the next weekend.

Best 73 Laurent F6GOX