[3830] CQWW SSB N5AW SOABClassic HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 29 22:15:45 EDT 2017

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N5AW
Operator(s): N5AW
Station: N5AW

Class: SOABClassic HP
QTH: TX

  160:   15     6       10
   80:   71    14       43
   40:  141    25       58
   20:  284    26       88
   15:  621    27       95
   10:   63     8       18

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Long time contester but a newbie to the high power world. My only previous high
power DX contest entry was in ARRL Phone, Found out then that I have a lot to
learn! Still have only one amp and really wasn't prepared to spend 40+ hours in
the chair anyway so decided to give the "Classic" category a shot.
Picking which 24 hours to operate is critical to optimizing your score. If I
had it to do over again I would do it much differently. Burned too much time on
the low bands, especially on the second night. At least I did accomplish my goal
of beating last year's low power score when I operated 38 hours. Undecided as to
whether I'll do the Classic mode on CW.

Unfortunately I also had a pretty serious line noise problem that must have
started just before the contest. It was not too bad to the NE(Europe) but bad
to the NW(JA) and SE(South America) and awful (S9) to the west (Oceania). It
was actually a lot worse on my beverages than the transmit antennas - in fact
it made them worthless on 80 and 160. I started a JA run Saturday on 15 but had
so many callers I could not pull out of the noise that I decided I didn't want
to be an alligator and resorted to S&P. I did have some nice European runs
on 15 both mornings but they only lasted about an hour and a half. Line noise
was a bit of a factor but not as bad as it was to JA. Need to get this fixed
before the CW weekend! Think I located it on a pole not far from the house -
now to get the power company out.

Marv N5AW