[3830] RAC Winter VE3NNT SO CW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 30 13:16:06 EST 2019

                    RAC Winter Contest - 2019

Call: VE3NNT
Operator(s): VE3NNT
Station: VE3NNT

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: FN14cm
Remote Operation

  160:    62    0        6         0
   80:   435    0        8         0
   40:   490    0        9         0
   20:   446    0       10         0
   15:    52    0        5         0
   10:     0    0        0         0
    6:     0    0        0         0
    2:     0    0        0         0
Total:  1485    0        0         0  Total Score = 188,328

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

This is the first time I've been around to enter this contest. For the past few
years, we've spent Christmas in Reunion Island (FR7). I operated remotely since
the station is at the cottage, which is closed for the winter. That presented
some challenges due to the internet congestion. During early evening hours, I
had a lot of delay jitter and dropped packets, which slowed me down as I had to
ask for a lot of repeats of call signs and numbers, but overall the remote
operation worked well without any crashes.

When I compare my score with Yuri and Vlad, it's apparent that I need a better
antenna on 160m. I threw up an inverted L in the fall and it showed a low SWR,
but it just doesn't get out and I don't hear well with it. So that's my project
for next spring. I should also consider getting a 6m antenna.

I need to pay more attention to multipliers. I guess I spent too much time
running and not enough time looking for some of the rare sections.

Although I got my station set up this past summer for SO2R operation, I haven't
sorted out the remote operation with 2 keyboards yet. It was handy being able to
bounce between bands, but I'm far from mastering the whole SO2R/2BSIQ thing.
It's not a perfect SO2R setup by any means since I do have some interference
between bands, which isn't surprising considering the close proximity of the
antennas, but it's workable.

Due to my ignorance, I didn't notice that the Stew Perry contest was on, so when
I moved to 160m during the last couple of hours of the RAC contest I was
ecstatic to see so much activity … ecstatic for about 30 seconds … since I
needed to get more 160m contacts. After realizing there was no RAC activity
there, I went back to 80m. Oh well, lesson learned.

Overall, I'm happy with my results. I look forward to next year to improve upon
them.

Happy New Year everyone. Thanks for the Qs. I look forward to seeing you in the
next one.