[3830] ARRL 160 W5ZN Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 6 09:46:33 EST 2020

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2020

Call: W5ZN
Operator(s): W5ZN
Station: W5ZN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: AR

Total:  QSOs = 1490  Sections = 83  Countries = 21  Total Score = 320,216

Club: Zilla Contest Group

Comments:

Had a good run this year. Not a lot of 5 point Q's. When 160 meters gets loaded
for a contest such as this my noise floor increases 5-10 dB and buries most of
the EU stations on the other side of the east coast curtain however I still
managed to snag 21 different countries.

Tons of stations were on Friday evening and I had several excellent runs. Ended
the Friday night run with 1066/82/15. Lots of stations were on Saturday but not
many new ones. Picked up an additional 424/1/6 Saturday evening. Only missed the
NT section. Don't guess any moose were available to activate it! :-))

Still a few stations out there running key click transmitting machines with an
ugly CW waveform. Please fix them or if you don't know how, get rid of them!

Lots of stations out there that just run the bands for fun, which I'm very glad
to see, but please keep up with who you've worked. Too many come back around,
sometimes 3 or more times, for a dupe. Guess it was so fulfilling the first time
they came back for another Q!! The first one is OK as it may have been
mis-logged by one of us but coming back around three or four times suggest
something else! :-))

The station performed well, no issues. Ran the PGXL amp as a post shake down
CQWW last weekend but had the OM2500A on "warm" standby in case it
couldn't cut it. Ran with just one radio, no assistance or internet connection.

W5ZN station equipment used for this contest:
Elecraft K3S - Diversity RX mode
Flex PGXL Amp
RX antennas:
BSEF 8 Vertical Array
HiZ-8 Vertical Array
YCCC-9 Vertical Array
Two = 1 wavelength Beverage's NE and W
TX antenna 1/4 vertical (This is the driven element for the 5 element parasitic
array but being here in Arkansas needed "all" directions I ran it in
"Omni" mode.

Thanks to everyone for all the Q's and mults.

73 Joel W5ZN