[AMPS] Need HV insulators/feedthru

Ron Hooper ab4ru@stc.net
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 00:12:23 +0000

Hello All,
  Thanks to all that sent me a reply on my HV connector question. I must
have received 20 different replys so I wanted to send out a little
follow up message on the subject. The most popular was to mount a Millen
HV on some Lexan or plexiglas to add additional voltage rating. That is
probably what I will do in this case but I really like what I build or
repair to look commerical. I had thought about using the HN connectors,
which I have several for HP RF applications. The connector is only rated
for 5 KV and I am not sure how much it would handle over that.
  One idea was to eliminate the connector and wire the HV directly
between the points which I have also used. It worked fine with no
failures but makes it harder to disconnect for maintence.
  The banana connector mounted on plexiglas idea would also work fine
since the RF deck is totally enclosed with another lockable cabnet but
again it just would not look good. Safety is very important to me,
something about smelling human flesh burn really sticks in my mind.
  I have also thought about making a teflon connector with a SS bolt
thru the center. I dont have access to HV test equipment any longer to
test the Home Brew device other than just install it and hope it dont
quit.
  Again thanks for all the responses from everyone. We really have a
great bunch of guys on the reflector.
Ron W4WA