[AMPS] ARCING MORE

CATALANO_DENIS_E@hq.navsea.navy.mil CATALANO_DENIS_E@hq.navsea.navy.mil
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 08:01:07 -0400

     Thanks to Pete (N4ZR), Carl (KM1H), Jordan,  and Rich (AG6K) for
  replying to my message.  I opened the amp up last night, and found
  several of the tuning capacitor plates pitted and/or melted.  Four of
  the plates have minor pitting, while three of the plates are actually
  deformed (melted) at the edges where the plates start to mesh.  I
  guess I will try the filing method, or maybe see if Tentec would sell
  replacement plates.
                                          TNX, Denis, W4DC

Subject: ARCING
Author:  CATALANO_DENIS_E at P-CLA_1
Date:    4/14/98 8:30 AM

     Greetings.  I have a TENTEC Centurion (pair of 3-500Z) that has worked
     great for several years.  Used it this weekend to work the H40 on
     RTTY.  Although I worked the H40, the amp started arcing (because of
     operator error/wrong antenna/you name it!).  Anyway, now when I drive
     the amp to full power with correct load, it arcs - all bands.  It
     looks like the arcing is in the big tuning capacitor.  It sounds like
     a spark-gap transmitter.  It does it whenever I drive it over 400W.  I
     haven't opened it up yet, so want to get some ideas of what to look
     for, and possible repair ideas.

                                           TNX & 73 Denis, W4DC