[AMPS] What's a Western Electric CW-701A?

KF0FX@aol.com KF0FX@aol.com
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 08:36:48 EDT

I have a brand new, right out of the box, Western Electric CW 701A.
Guaranteed for 250 hours (says right on it).  It's a strange looking tube with
the anode wrapped around four oxide cathodes at the perimeter of the tube.
The large cathode to anode surface area makes me think that the tube was
designed for low duty cycle and high current pulses.  It doesn't look like it
was designed to handle heat.  The large and variable cathode to anode spacing
implies that the tube was designed for low frequency operation.  Does anybody
have an idea of what this tube is?  It looks like it would make a good base
for a lamp.  :-)

73's
Chris, KF0FX
KF0FX@aol.com