[AMPS] 4cx5000

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 07:31:35 -0800

>Just a aquired a surplus 4cx5000 rf deck and power supply which is odd
>ball volts and frequency, looks a like a aircraft amp.
>I need to build a 7500 volts 2 amp pwr supply. What is the most suitable
>approach?

€  For mine, I used a 3000Vrms Peter W. Dahl 68-pounder, which I potted
with laminating resin as per the info on my Web site.  I used a FWD.  No
load was 9100v.  Transmitting on SSB, the supply delivered c. 7800v.

>.  Where do you get 30000 volt 2 amp diodes,

€  For a FWD, the actual piv is a bit under 10kV per leg.  15kV total per
leg would provide a 50% safety factor.   Mount 2 x 15 1N5408s on a
perfboard, sans-"equalizers", sitting in the air stream and you have it.
. 1N5408s go for about 20 cents each these days

> and is a C filter suitable with this size power supply?

€ Sure, for ssb and cw (by switching to a FWB -- ckt on my Web site).
However for RTTY and FM, a resonant-choke filter is way better.  The
thing to keep in mind with C filter supplies is that the peak mains
current is about 10x that for a similar resonant choke supply.  Thus, you
gotta use huge wire to the mains breaker box with a C filter.  For a Dahl
68 pounder, #4 copper is adequate for up to c. a 30m run.  ( notes /
Dahl's 68-pounder has a bar-stock primary winding with c. 0.078 ohms of R
 /  To covert Dahl's "vA" rating to ssb pep watts out, multiply by c. 3,
).

> Also what minimum C should be used

€  I would use (2 x 11) 470uf, 450wv, 105 deg C Panasonic filter caps
mtd. on an acrylic or g10 sheet with silicone rubber adhesive.  Panasonic
100k-ohm, 3w resistors work well as equalizers.  //  If you could swap
for 4cx10,000D, the  difference is a more efficient anode cooler.  This
would allow you to use a 1700 rpm blower instead of a much more noisy
3400 rpm blower.
-  later, Bill

Rich...