[AMPS] big or small amps, we're all hams

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 02:03:59 -0500

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 19:55:51 +0200 "John Fielding"
<johnf@futurenet.co.za> writes:

>I agree on the inaccuracies in some of the ARRL publications.  The
>same
>errors are reprinted year after year without apparently anyone
>checking
>the subject matter.  I am the first to admit that most, if not all of
>the errors, are due to mistakes in the typesetting, after all the
>humble printer is not a degreed engineer, but I thought the "galleys"
>are supposed to be sent to the original author for approval.
>
>I came across a classic mistake today in the ARRL Microwave
>Experimenters Handbook in the section dealing with Cavity amplifier
>design.  As I was wishing to refresh my memeory, at the same time as
>building a new 23cm PA, I took the example which was skimpily worked
>out and double checked the calcs.  Just as well as I would been
>several
>10's of $$ out of pocket with scrap metal because of a simple error
>in
>the calcs. It cannot even be called a typo as the correct answer to
>one
>part was 37,7 ohms and 3 lines further on it somehow became 34,94
>ohms?
>
>I may have an old edition but I am not sufficiently wealthy to buy
>every new edition when it comes out.
>
>John	ZS5JF

I wonder how many actually take the time to fill out the comment card in
the later Handboooks and return them with corrections?  That assumes that
you were the original purchaser and did not throw the card away when you
sold it to some cheap ham at a fleamarket. No offense meant to overseas
hams.

E-Mail works also in this wondorous age.

I bet very few since it would require a conscious effort that is a step
above endless complaining.

73  Carl  KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]