[AMPS] Operating comments using the Emtron DX-2a

K3BU@aol.com K3BU@aol.com
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 17:43:59 EST

In a message dated 1/31/99 11:49:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
johnf@futurenet.co.za writes:

<<
 Sounds good to me - but at 3 months salary a little steep!!   Oh well I
 guess you have to pay for good quality rf items these days.

 John	ZS5JF

Comes back to old rule:
If you got no money, but you got time, roll it (brew it, chisel it, ... ) on
your own, scroung for parts, you could probably manage it for around $600 +
your time (no charge).
You got no time, but have money, welcome to no brainer - instant satisfaction
(?) of having decent product with little effort.
The trick is to find way of making mo' money with less time, so there is some
time left to play with radios.
The ham's dilema is, when we are young, have no money, but lot of stamina and
energy (& lotsa learnig). When we get older, we get some mo money, but by then
too old to take full advantage of it (esp. contesting).
Good thing that it is only a hobby/sport. :-)
I brewed my amps and antennas mainly for the reason of performance and
reliability for contesting. Commercial "junk" just wouldn't last. Radio's are
also modified and upgraded to overcome "software 30 something enginner's"
designs. (Like TS870 DSP  IF "filtering" behind junky filters.)
Nothing beats hands on experience. Now I understand OF saying: "If I had your
youth and my brains....)
73 Yuri