[AMPS] Eimac care and feeding

measures measures@vcnet.com
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 14:54:15 -0700

>Rich Measures wrote:
>
>> Why does "Care and Feeding of Power Grid Tubes need
>>to be updated?  Sure, the Class C stuff is mostly a relic.
>[snip, about minor errors]
>
>...and:
>
>* There's not enough information about linear operation.

€  OK, it's not very readable, but the info is mostly there.  I was
eventually able to pretty much figure things out by reading the book and
looking at constant current curves.   The challenge is explaining it in a
readable manner.

>* There's not enough information about operation above 30MHz.
>
>* It doesn't mention more modern tubes - even the 3-500Z

€  It covers the 3-400Z, the 4CX1000K, and the 5CX3000A.

> mentions came later than
>the book, and of course there's nothing about the 3CX800 or 8873-4-5-7.
>
>* There's no application information to put the principles into
>practice.

When one understands principles, the applications are virtually
spontaneous.

>... and above all:
>
>* There's no information about anything that has happened in the last 35
>years!

VHF gain is a bit higher, grid inductance is somewhat lower.  Feedback C
is seemingly decreasing -  at least in tubes like the 3CX1200Z7.
However, things have not changed all that much in the past 35 years.  In
1964, you could buy an 8171 and build your own "transmitting noise
blanker"..

cheers, Ian.