[AMPS] Re: Re: New G2DAF amplifier information

measures 2@vc.net
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 01:52:15 -0700

>Guys,
>
>Can´t we just let Norm and W6CHR rest in peace.

The last I heard, Jim, they were not RIP.  Norm is currently in his 90s.

> What they
>did is not relevant nor interesting any more. What they did
>obviously didn´t work so just leave it alone.

The amplifiers they built undoubtedly worked.  However, the splatter was
a whole nuther matter.  .  So far, no has even come close to breaking
CHR's awesome 80m record.

> Now in this modern
>age and time called year 2000 there are G2DAF designs on the
>air that doesn´t splatter,

Every SSB amplifier that has ever been built splatters.  The question is
how many db down.

  >  i e have normal bandwith for a SSB
>signal, surely that must be much more interesting then what
>a coupple guys did years and years ago that didn´t work right.
>Yes during the last DX contest I´ve heard lots and lots of bad signals
>on the band as I´ve stated before. I also gave an example how
>I personaly did operate my rig (FT1000D + 4-1000A GG) in sutch
>a way that I had excessive bandwith (i e splatter slightly) without
>really sounding bad on the center frequency but 3.5 kHz on the side
>I was 8 dB stronger then I needed to be due too much drive level
>(ALC compression as a result) and compression level. So you see
>it is possible to make errors but on the contrary from lots of others
>I did learn from my misstakes. I have a saying that goes, You are not
>stupid if you make misstakes but if you dont learn from your misstake
>then you are stupid for sure.

Clearing a sufficient path by any means is most certainly not an error
during a contest.  To clear a narrower path, reduce grid-current.  To
clear a wider path, increase grid-current.

cheers,  Jim SM2EKM

.

end