[AMPS] EVALUATION OF HENRY 2K CLASSIC [2]

Jim Reid kh7m@hsa-kauai.net
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 14:51:22 -1000

Chuck wrote,  in part:

> I'd like to hear your and others' opinions about why a
> person might prefer the 120-lb. over the 55-lb. amp.

Believe you answered your own question just below; and
that is precisely why I bought a 400 lb. (!!?)  Henry 8K
Ultra amp --well there were a couple other reasons,  which
I will provide on below.  But CCS operations,  was for me
very important:  CCS = Continuous Commercial Service,
or said another way,  super reliability,  and long,  long,
conservative,  clean (real very low IMD) output power
at full amateur legal limit and never to break a sweat!
And,  it will be passed on to my Son,  when I go on
for the DX trip at the end......

> ...... that's the problem with Heathkits --
> you're always having to fix them, because they're just
> barely able to do what they're rated for, and then not for
> very long before they break.

>The Henry?

Don't know yet,  have had my Henry Ultra now for just about
18 months.  In my Henry 8K,  the RF deck weighs about
70 pounds by itself;  the balance of the pedestal,  with
all the PS components on the lower deck weighs about
330 pounds!  Most of that is in the transformer,  which
provides 6200 v to the plate of the 3CX3000A7 tube,  key
up;  key down, about 5400 v.  65 watts drive,  yields
1500 out,  all day RTTY and the new MFSK16 digital
mode;  though have only done that one once and into a
Bird Coaxial Resistor (aka,  dummy load,  3 kW continuous
rating).  Still not quite set up correct for MFSK16,  the
new DX,  long path digital mode).  And much more weight
in the big choke in the filter path.

Downside to the Henry Ultra?  It puts out a lot of heat;
the filaments alone burn up about 300 watts of power
just to light up!  And the big Dayton squirrel cage blower
puts out a lot of sound power as well as air.  But that
again is why I got the Ultra;  it can be remotely controlled,
so here,  it is in the next room!

This is not really a rapid QSY amp either;  several seconds
to go between bands;  maybe 30 or so from 80 to 15
for example.  I have a lot of presets with my set up,  so
within a band,  QSY is very rapid,  but does not approach
an Alpha 87A,  hi!  It is,  essentially instant "on";  the
Alpha has that confounded 3 minute filament warm up
time,  which drove me nuts until I sold it to buy the Henry.
And BTW,  the muffin fan on the back of the Alpha was
an irritant also,  but needed out here in this tropic climate.

I bought it because I am a conservative sort of guy;
and do not regret it.  But one must watch the drive
power into the 8K,  hi.  The factory test sheet which
came with mine shows 2500+ out with 100 watts drive,
and 5000+ watts with 200 watts drive.  Have never
done that here;  would blow out who knows how many
parts of my antenna set up,  hi.  I am happy to have the
cleanest,  full legal limit signal on the band,  for as long
as I want to chew the rag or chase after some new,  neat
DX.  Don't contest,  so don't need super fast QSY nor
quick band switch for multiplier chasing;  don't handle
traffic,  nor get into CW nets,  so don't need rapid
full QSK;  just real happy with what I bought for why
I bought it!

Full legal limit needed here?  Yes, often;  Kauai is the island
most to the West in Hawaii,  and to anywhere other
than another Hawaiian station is at least 2400 miles;
over 5000 miles to the East Coast,  etc.  Yes,  100
watts will work at times,  but 1500 is easier for the fellow
on the other end from out here.

So that is why I bought a 400 pound gorilla, Chuck.

73,  Jim,  KH7M