[AMPS] M/A Com fets ++

jstrohm@texas.net jstrohm@texas.net
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 12:45:07 -0500

alex alex@sandlabs.com said --

>Moto is very good to us. We cannot complain at all... If we would complain
>about somebody this will be Richardson! They have monopolized the RF
>distribution market and dictate the prices!

If you feel that a monopoly exists, and that it is anticompetitive, tell it to the judge.  Establishing that Richardson has a monopoly will be simple.

Establishing that it is anticompetitive, and documenting harm from anticompetitive practices, is much more difficult.  And getting the internal documents from Richardson to prove price-fixing will be very difficult indeed, unless you can find a well-placed mole.

I've always wondered why RF Parts' prices on MOT power devices were within a few pennies of Richardson's, but their OTHER prices were totally through the roof.  If you assume a consistent pricing structure -- for example, an across-the-board 40% markup -- their price list doesn't make sense.

Of course, both MOT and Richardson provide a service that RF Parts cannot -- ISO-9000-compliant traceability of components. For my hobby stuff, it's something I don't need.  For business, I practically need a serial number on every darn piece I solder to a board.  Even the solder has to have traceability.

Obligatory Amp content:

I really enjoyed the idea of making toroidal filament transformers.  The cool part is -- you can tap a toroid ANYWHERE, and move the tap lead along the toroid to fine-tune the voltage AND any stray bias voltage that you might be picking up anywhere.

I'll be hunting for toroidal transformers for rewinding!

Jim N6OTQ

http://mail2web.com/ .