[AMPS] Amp Drive Power(Long)

2 2@vc.net
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 07:16:44 -0700

>> "1. Unless the load VSWR is exactly 1.0, the forward power
>> indicated by any directional-coupler-wattmeter exceeds the
>> net power delivered to the load.
>
>Look at the reflected power. Subtract the reflected power from
>forward, and you have real power delivered to the load (neglecting
>the small cable and input circuit losses).

//  Yet another popular belief in ham radioland.  Proving or disprooving
the "real power" utterance requires a dual-trace 'scope, a calculator, a
DMM, a not-50-ohm termination, and an unclosed mind.  My guess is that
it's not quite as simple as A minus B.
"Nothing is as simple as it looks."  --  Murphy
The list:
1.  Electromagnetic radiation comes from the high-current part of an
antenna.
2.  Adding tubes in parallel reduces the possibility of making an
amplifier work on 10m.
3.  A 40% increase in power makes one kick-butt stronger in HF pileups.
4.  An arc in a near-vacuum make a loud bang.
5.  6000VDC is more dangerous to humanoids than 120VAC.
6.  You have to hear 'em to work 'em.
7.  Virtually all tube failures are caused by tube manufacturering
defects or
     schmuck-operator errors.
8.  Ferrite core manufacturers' frequency ratings can be ignored for
balun service.
9.  It's possible to have a good Field Day without a supply of brewskis.
> ... ...
>> "1. With the amp biased for CW, I get less or more power  than
>> you do, with the same 99 W of VFD-indicated drive power,
>> depending on whether the antenna tuner _inside_ my exciter is
>> switched out or in, respectively.  IMO this proves that the Henry's
>> grid circuit generates and sends a nonsinusoidal reflection back to
>> the exciter.
>
>Doesn't **prove** that at all! You need to measure the harmonics,
>or look at it with a scope.

//  Yea, verily, Mr. Rauch.

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734, AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end