[Amps] P600M diodes in HT supplies

Steve Katz stevek@jmr.com
Fri, 3 May 2002 12:55:25 -0700

Theoretically, it shouldn't matter whether the rectifiers are fast-recovery
or not for a 120 Hz application; however, diodes in a series string will
handle transients much better if their recovery times are all the same
(regardless of fast, or slow).  The reason for this is, while the
low-frequency signal will divide amongst the diodes in the series string
according to the reverse leakage currents (assuming no diode in the string
ever avalanches, or breaks down), the high-frequency signal such as a fast
transient will divide instead according to trr (reverse recovery time) and
Cj (junction capacitance).  The rectifier string appears as a string of
capacitors, not semiconductors, to a fast transient.

WB2WIK/6

"Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult problem." --
Henry Kissinger