[Amps] T'bolt

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Tue Apr 1 13:24:06 EST 2003

At 10:09 AM 4/1/2003 -0700, John T. M. Lyles wrote:
>I recommend a good read of the archives of this list, past years worth, as
>there has been a bit of Thunderbolt work here. And it is monster, but
>consider that it can only output < 1 kW,

But it will  bring a great deal more on the market than any Half KW modern
day amplifier.
Also, it will operate any band from 80 to 10 meters using passive input
including WARC bands and any new band that may
appear.

>  as a matter of fact, quite less in linear mode, and even that is AB2,
> which isn't so linear

>Also that it has the mercury vapor rectifiers which are finicky at best,
>not lending to fast turn ons.

What do you mean by finicky? As long as the rig has been on for 60 seconds
or so it is fine.
I love the violet glow myself. I have thought of making solid state
replacements with Blue LEDs in it to simulate the
effect.  Mercury Vapor works well in rectifiers, florescent lams and street
lamps. It has low voltage drop. Very close to that of
a series of rectifier diodes for the same PRV. Just can't be used with
capacitive input filters ( a big mistake that I have seen the tube audio
people make).