[Amps] A 3-500Z question...

R.Measures r at somis.org
Wed Sep 1 21:32:40 EDT 2004

On Sep 1, 2004, at 1:52 PM, Kim Elmore wrote:

> While idly thinking the other day, I began to wonder why no one builds
> grid-drive 3-500Z amps. I know the tube was designed for GG service,
> but that doesn't preclude grid-drive service.

For non-linear operation, a high-Mu triode may be grid driven.
However, for linear operation with a grid driven triode, only a low Mu
will do.  The reason why can be seen by looking at the characteristic
curves for a 3cx3000A1 and a 3CX3000A7.
  --  note --  virtually zero grid current can be allowed to flow in
grid driven linear service.

>  Eimac even specs grid-drive service on the data sheet. Is
> neutralization a big pain for them?  Or, is the result not worth the
> effort given the variety of high-quality tetrodes available?

Without neutralization an 8171 or 8170 typically get squirrelly above
20MHz.