[Amps] ARRL Amplifier book

Bill Coleman N2BC n2bc at stny.rr.com
Sun Sep 5 18:22:48 EDT 2004

Pete, the Harris RF-110A / RF-124 meets most of those requirements.  With
careful shopping, one could have 3 or 4 (or more) Harris setups for the
price of one new Alpha 87.

It covers 2 to 30mHz in 19 bands, no tuning. The Harris can easily be put on
160M with a minor tweak.  It runs a pair of 4CX1500s driven by a pair of
8122s.  Requires about 100mW drive.  It can be driven from most rigs
transverter output thru a 1W broadband amp or from a 100W rig thru a 30dB
attenuator (readily available on the e-place).

The negatives are it's noise (an 11,000RPM fan), and size (~300 pounds in
two 10.5" rack mountable cabinets). It's rated at 1KW output, will easily do
more but I wouldn't want to have to fix a toasted tank assembly.

The pluses are it's easy to control it remotely with a simple home-brew
control head - move the noisy beast into the next room. It's quite
serviceable, slide-out drawer, etc.

I have some words and pix of mine on my home page:
http://home.stny.rr.com/n2bc/

73, Bill   N2BC