[Amps] ARRL Amplifier book

Phil Clements philk5pc at tyler.net
Sun Sep 5 18:38:01 EDT 2004

> Pete, the Harris RF-110A / RF-124 meets most of those requirements.
With
> careful shopping, one could have 3 or 4 (or more) Harris setups for
the
> price of one new Alpha 87.

Amen, Bill.....I have two on the air here.

> It covers 2 to 30mHz in 19 bands, no tuning. The Harris can easily
be put on
> 160M with a minor tweak.  It runs a pair of 4CX1500s driven by a
pair of
> 8122s.  Requires about 100mW drive.  It can be driven from most rigs
> transverter output thru a 1W broadband amp or from a 100W rig thru a
30dB
> attenuator (readily available on the e-place).

I use attenuators here.

> The negatives are it's noise (an 11,000RPM fan), and size (~300
pounds in
> two 10.5" rack mountable cabinets). It's rated at 1KW output, will
easily do
> more but I wouldn't want to have to fix a toasted tank assembly.

I have done a lot of research, and I limit output here to 1,500 watts
on all freqs
from 1.8-30mhz.  The limitation on power in the tank are the many
doorknob caps.
One RF-110A resides in my shop bathroom, and the other in my garage.

> The pluses are it's easy to control it remotely with a simple
home-brew
> control head - move the noisy beast into the next room. It's quite
> serviceable, slide-out drawer, etc.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC