[Amps] Re: re cooling of coils (Ian White, G3SEK)

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Mon Sep 6 05:01:34 EDT 2004

Will Matney wrote:
>Ian,
>I would think a set of louvered holes at the input for the blower air
>in the chassis would do it. That is if they were aimed in different
>directions from one to the other. This would make the incoming air
>streams sort of bounce against each other making it turbulent I would
>think.

Sadly, it doesn't work that way. All that can possibly give you is a few
gentle swirls in the smoothly flowing air.

The transformer gets hot because it is insulated by a stagnant layer of
warm air on the surface. To create enough turbulence to scrub that layer
off, you have to put in some extra mechanical energy - in other words,
use a fan.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek