[Amps] SK300 socket

R.Measures r at somis.org
Mon Sep 6 11:18:34 EDT 2004

On Sep 6, 2004, at 5:05 AM, Traian wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The new SK300A socket data sheet specify that it require
> "significantly less blower power and have reduced pressure
> drop" than the older SK300 version.
> One of the differences between them is that the SK300's
> concentric connection rings are wider than those used for
> the SK300A, so they are severely reducing the socket's
> cross section area and this may be the reason for the
> higher pressure needed.
>
> The obvious idea and question arise.
> It is worth to adjust (machined) the SK300's screen and grid
> rings for reducing their diameter and so for reducing the
> pressure drop caused by this socket?

Trajan --  The extra metal on the screen and grid rings of an SK-300
socket can be removed by hand with a 32-teeth per inch metal cutting
blade in a coping saw.  This allows air to flow about as easily as in a
SK-300A socket.  The tube socket visible in:
http://www.somis.org/pb_grid.gif
was modified in this way.  The operation takes about 30-minutes.  The
tube of choice to use in such a socket is the 4cx10,000D since its
large cooler allows one to use a 1700rpm blower,  A 4cx15000A can also
be used in the same socket with a 1700rpm blower If it is not run at
more than c. 20 out pep on SSB.   With either tube and a 1700rpm
blower, NØN tuneup is probably not a good idea.  The workaround is to
tuneup with a tuning pulser.

> I think that this solution  may allow the use of a more "human"
> blower, one at reduced speed (which will reduce the noise) or
> at reduced size.
>
> Anyone have such experience or  made a comparison
> regarding the needed cooling airflow for the two socket models?
>
> I am concerned also for the 4CX15k base cooling, as the
> 165 amps for the filament mean about 5 amps for every of
> the spring-finger contacts of the filament inner connector,
> and this for a temperature near 200 deg C.

5A/finger is no problem provided the air is flowing.