[Amps] Non-inductive resistors

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sun Sep 26 21:57:04 EDT 2004

Will,

Globar resistors are "bulk ceramic" types. That means that
the ceramic body isn't just a form for a thin film resistive trace
to be deposited on the form. To the contrary, in the case of
a globar type resistor, the ceramic material is the actual
resistor - see the following URL:

http://www.globar.com/ec/resistor.php.html

This configuration has very low inductance  compared to
a thin meandering trace. It also has very high peak power
capability. The techniques you describe do work, but I am
skeptical that they could achieve the same low levels of
inductance that are possible with a "bulk" or "composition"
resistive material configuration. Long thin traces have
considerable self inductance even if you don't have
reinforcing flux linkages between adjacent "turns".

When you say that something is "Non-Inductive" you have
to be careful to properly define what is meant be that
term. Something that would be considered "non-inductive"
in one application (say relative to a standard wirewound),
might be intolerabably inductive in another application
(compared to a composition resistor for instance). It all
depends whether your threshold for "inductance" is
1 microhenry or 10nanohenry.