[Amps] Non-inductive resistors

craxd craxd1 at ezwv.com
Sun Sep 26 22:49:56 EDT 2004

Michael,
The Globar may be of a different design. However, theres some made with
those types of windings I'm speaking of in ceramic tubular resistors.
This is the way the resistors are in this old Harris load. They must
have low inductance because without any capacitance, the SWR was low
then, about 1.5:1-1.8: 1 or so. Six of these by the size and comparisons
to several manufacturers, are 250-275 watts each. The guy I got them
from mentioned adding capacitance in parallel then, but he had used the
doorknob cap(s) on a different project and I didn't get any. When it was
tested, it didn't show much of a change, maybe 1.5:1 after one minute or
maybe more from about 1.2:1 when cold (This after adding some
capacitance 30-35 pF). They got warm and was a little too hot to touch,
but cooled quickly with the fans. I wouldn't think they would hold up
though over maybe 4-5 minutes without damaging one or all. My guess is
around 2-3 minutes max for 1650 watts total rating and 5000 going in. If
they were oil or water cooled, then the rating would be way up there.

Back before this type of resistor (Globar), they made them the way I'm
speaking of. I double checked the Radio Engineers Handbook (1943), and
each was rated for RF duty, except for I think one, which the
capacitance might be too high on. To me, if they're non-inductive for RF
service, they should work, and really I can see why. They might have
more inductance than the Globar, but they will not be no where near as
high as a standard wirewound. If these didn't work for RF, I don't see
them listing the design in the Handbook and saying they all will work in
RF frequencies. I figured Rich was speaking of them maybe working in
audio frequencies, but the Handbook states clearly different. Plus, this
old Harris load works perfect to me and all six resistors are wound
resistors.

The "meandering trace" is a re-design of the "fish line" style included
in the book. Back then it was made by winding a wire coil around a silk
cord. Then, this was wound around a ceramic coil form. The ones today
have zig-zagging traces about the circumference. These very types I seen
listed for use in dummy loads for RF service and labeled non-inductive.
In the resistors I've seen there are two terms, non-inductive and
limited inductance. The limited inductance is the higher inductance of
the two. Another route was using two windings of opposing wound coils on
each end of the form. This would be the same as hooking two resistors in
series, with the same number of turns, but wound in opposite directions.
It would be the same using two RF coils in series, one having a right
hand twist, and the other a left. I experimented with this years ago,
(20?) and can't remember now how it worked.

I figure if it worked back in the good ol days, it would have to work
now. The only way to find out would be do some testing with some
resistance wire and a form. Apply the RF and see what you get. The SWR
will either be sky high, look like a pure resistive load, or somewhere
in between. My personal opinion is, if they're done correctly, they'll
work. Might not be perfect, but still work.

Will Matney