[Amps] PWD

Harold B. Mandel ka1xo at juno.com
Sat Jan 29 21:09:21 EST 2005

Sirs,

The ALPHA clone has passed the "EHT" test as described
so well by our Brit cousins. No arcs, no sparks, no flames,
no explosions and no funny smells.

However, I thought that the HV meter on the ALPHA front panel
was in error when I switched the Anode Supply tap relay to the
"3KV" position. The meter went to 4.5KV, and the Jennings panel
meter on the Anode Cabinet ( with separate resistor network)
showed 4.2KV.

The transformer from PWD says, " 230vac primary, 0-1800-3000 vac
secondary, 3A CCS."

The Anode Supply delivers 2710 VDC in low, and 4550 in high gear,
even with 200K at 200 watt bleeders and a 25 ohm, 225 watt glitch
resistor in series with the output of the supply.

So I measured the line voltage here in Kentucky and I have 257 vac
going into a transformer with a 230 vac primary.

I just hope the 8877's will last long enough to proof test the amp on
all the frequencies. At that point the 3CPX1500A7's go in, and they can
withstand a higher anode voltage.

Hal
W4HBM