[Amps] Outgassing tubes.

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Sun Oct 2 20:07:31 EDT 2005

Jim,

Tubes sure have a shelf life or I always thought they did. The seals to keep air out of the vacuum, I think, can leak even though a very miunute amount. Over time though, this keeps building. The major cause I think is the constant expansion and contraction of the glass or steel the tubes envelope is made of from the heat or cold where they're stored. These seals are made from a different material or have none at all except glass to steel or steel to ceramic. The problem is that one material will expand and contract more than another at the same temperature. This I think, can cause this small amount of leakage. When you put a tube in service where the heat is on and off a lot with a larger variance in temperatures, I think accelerates the process. That's my thoughts on this though as I've never read any engineering information saying this cant happen.

Best,

Will