[Amps] Energy stored in capacitor bank ?

Vic K2VCO vic at rakefet.com
Mon Oct 3 12:24:41 EDT 2005

Frank Goenninger DG1SBG wrote:

> I have 14 caps in series, each having a capacity of 4200 uF. The load
> voltage for
> the bank will be about 3250 V DC (calculated using Duncan Amps' PSU
> Designer software).
>
> Am I right in simply calculation the stored energy as
>
> Cres = 4200 uF / 14 = 300 uF

What is the advantage of using so much capacitance?  For CW or SSB, 30
uf would likely reduce ripple enough.  As you point out, the amount of
energy stored in your capacitor is enormous, and this energy is
available to damage tubes/parts in the event of an arc.  It also results
in higher peak currents in the rectifiers.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco