[Amps] One PS, many amps

Phil Clements philc at texascellnet.com
Thu Oct 6 16:25:04 EDT 2005

> >I believe I've read on here before where some owners have built MONO band
> amps but powered them all from a single power supply.  So, one power
> supply deck and TWO RF decks.  It has been suggested that I use vacuum
> relays to switch between the two RF decks.  I was hoping to have them both
> run in standby at the same time.  I obviously do not know enough and am
> therefore here seeking guidance.  I will only operate one amp at a time.

Frank Donovan, W3LPL is probably the world's best source of info on this
type of lash-up. His multi-multi contest station, as I recall, had amps for
each band, with only one power supply. It may still be in operation.

No, you don't need any relays to switch HV; just excite the amp you want to
use. I would highly recommend HV glitch resistors in each RF deck, and also
in the power supply.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC