[Amps] Dedicated 220AC Wiring for Amps..

Paul condor at mags.net
Thu Oct 13 14:56:21 EDT 2005

monty taylor wrote:

This brings up a question I have.  I am using my pre-wired dryer outlet,
30 amp breaker, #10 wire; red, black and white.  It has only three
conductors and no ground wire, just; hot, hot, and neutral.  The house
is 10 years old and code approved.  For the amp, an AL1500, I wired per
the instruction manual for 220 Volts, hot, hot and neutral to the
ground/chassis connection.  Now, I want to RF/AC ground the chassis to a
different 8ft copper clad ground rod.  I read that you should never
connect neutral and ground together at any place other than the entry
panel as a difference in voltage potential could exist.   The #10 run to
the dryer outlet is about 30 feet.  My question: Should I ground the amp
to the new rod outside my shack or not?  I have been using the shack
with out any ground rods so far; only at the far end of all my coax runs
through lightning surge protectors.

A little wordy, but I hope I get some answers.

Best regards,
Monty/WB5GLB since 1969

Yes...

The RF ground serves a different purpose than the power ground.

I run an Alpha 77SX, and have the same power arrangement 240/neutral/240
The neutral is grounded at the power box so I get -

O <->240<-> O
 \         /
 120     120
   \     /

My amp and all of the other equipment are also RF grounded with a 10
foot copper
pipe that is driven straight down into the dirt outside the window of
the shack,
plus some wire from the pipe that runs a few inches under the dirt for
about 40 feet.

Works just fine.

The ground rod in the tomato garden is to get rid of RF on the equipment
- it acts
like an RF conduit to the "resistive sponge of dirt" and keeps mics,
keys. tuners,
and chassis from being "hot", and keeps garbage from one transceiver
from getting
into the receiver of another.

Paul - K2BK