[Amps] FW: High Voltage cable - fitting into SHV type plugs

HAROLD B MANDEL ka1xo at juno.com
Wed Oct 26 11:07:02 EDT 2005

Dear Larry,

You need to be careful about using auto type spark plug wires for HV
cables.

Some are made with graphite cores. These are resistive types and they are
not
meant to carry any significant current.

Matter-of-fact, they might IGNITE if used in an amplifier application,
much like the electrodes in an arc-welder!

Other types of auto spark plug cable use stainless-steel stranded cores.
These have silicone insulation. Still, they are not meant to convey
any significant current.

The best cheap solution is to use HV wire that has double insulation
like what is used for neon sign applications.

Economy Electronics, (http://www.economyelectronics.com) carries
a wide variety of HV wire. I purchased some broadcast transmitter
type wire at a reasonable cost that has 40KV insulation and a 12AWG
tinned copper stranded core with a braided cloth exterior to protect
the HV insulation, but there are other brands and ratings available.

Hal Mandel
W4HBM

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:55:15 -0500 "Larry Carman" <lncarman at swbell.net>