[Amps] Mobile high power

HAROLD B MANDEL ka1xo at juno.com
Thu Oct 27 13:30:10 EDT 2005

Years ago police cars had 200 watt transmitters on 29MHz. The shops would
outfit the
vehicles with Delco-Remy 100 amp generators that barely fit under the
hood.

They needed special regulators, but at that time the regulators were
three-relay
mechanical types. When the operator keyed the mike (AM) the motor would
slow down.

The application today are CB operators who attend "shoot-outs" with very
high
power mobile amplifiers mounted in vans. We're talking idiots who run
dual
3CX5000A's with 1-5/8" hardline and 4/0AWG going to the battery bank.

It's a popular "sport" in some circles.

Hal