[Amps] How about this furnace?

Joe Isabella n3ji at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 1 21:24:32 EST 2006

  Bill,
  I too mobile quite often with 100W.  But lemme tell you, when you get "Sorry OM can't copy", then I hit the switch on my 500W amp, and I get "Oh yeah!!  MUCH better", I know the investment was worth it.  And I'm running the best antenna I have ever had mobile -- a 12' tall screwdriver.  100W does suffice most times, but you can't tell me you never had trouble mobile (ESPECIALLY on 40 or 75m).

  Oh, and one part is key -- when you need to talk to a certain station at a certain time, the power requirement is different.  I'm sure SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE could hear us with 100W, but that's not the requirement.  When the rubber meets the road and the distant end 100 miles away can't hear you, the extra power REALLY makes a difference!!  Random contacts are one thing, relatively consistent comms between certain stations is another.

  Joe, N3JI