[Amps] silicone remover?

gdaught6@stanford.edu gdaught6 at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 11 14:08:43 EST 2006

Hi all,

I'm converting an Eimac SK1400 to ground the screen grid.  I've
removed the insulating washers, but I've got a thin film of silicone
rubber on the finger stock and the mounting rings.

I've tried pencil erasers, scotchbrite, and even fine steel wool.  Is
there a chemical (organic solvent, maybe?) that will remove the film
without removing the silver plating?

Of course I could just do my best with gentle mechanical efforts, and
put it all back together.  The silicone won't show, and the contact
would probably be fine.  I'd just like to get the maximum area
(lowest inductance) connection that I can.

Any suggestions?

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT