[Amps] silicone remover?

John crazytvjohn at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 17:34:21 EST 2006

Hi George
  I have had some luck with paint thinner  sold at the local home improvement  store.  The cheapest stuff in a gallon plastic can.  It Can take a while to soften  and one would need to rub a finger on it or or use paper. Tends to peal up silicon from the edge  I use this on the cabinet of plastic TV sets and It doesn't remove the plastic. It sure won't remove metal.  Please put some silicon on some other metal let it cure and see if it removes it.  It also works well on the fresh silicon in the bathroom to form a nice clean bead. It will clean up fresh silicon with a single wipe.   If you need the exact name on the container let me know and I will have it brought up from the basement.
  Also heat will damage beaded silicon allowing it to be removed.
  john kb9tc

gdaught6 at stanford.edu wrote:
  Hi all,

I'm converting an Eimac SK1400 to ground the screen grid. I've
removed the insulating washers, but I've got a thin film of silicone
rubber on the finger stock and the mounting rings.

I've tried pencil erasers, scotchbrite, and even fine steel wool. Is
there a chemical (organic solvent, maybe?) that will remove the film
without removing the silver plating?

Of course I could just do my best with gentle mechanical efforts, and
put it all back together. The silicone won't show, and the contact
would probably be fine. I'd just like to get the maximum area
(lowest inductance) connection that I can.

Any suggestions?

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT