[Amps] LK-500

Steve Thompson g8gsq at eltac.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 11:53:57 EST 2006

dick.knol at planet.nl wrote:
> Rich Measures AG6K sells 450 WV 105ºC electrolytic caps for HT PSU use.
> (http://www.somis.org/Price-Info.html)
>
> Please note that contrary to crack, a 105ºC rating electrolytic cap
> cannot be obtained on every street corner. However, the 105ºC rating
> will result in a much longer servbice life in a hot HFF power amp
> environment.
A while ago I looked at the ratings on Philips electrolytics, where you
can get physically identical capacitors, one family with 85C rating, the
other with 105C rating. For the same value, the ripple current ratings
were different, as were the lifetimes at the operating temperatures.

I worked out the thermal resistance from the maximum allowed temperature
and I^R rating at 85C. Working backwards to 105C, I ended up with
exactly the ripple current specified for the 105C part. The different
lifetimes were related in just the same way. In other words, these
appeared to be absolutely indentical, just specified at different
operating temperatures. I don't know if there's any manufacturing
difference between 105 and 85C parts - but it would not surprise me if
they all come off the same conveyor and just had different part numbers
printed on them.

I've not tried it for other brands but I can imagine the same might apply.

Steve