[Amps] MLA-2500 Power Supply Capacity

k6zz@mail.ccis.com k6zz at mail.ccis.com
Wed Jan 18 21:33:00 EST 2006

Hi Folks,

I could use some advice on the MLA-2500 power supply.  I'm
planning to put a pair of 3CX800A7's in a tubeless but
otherwise very good condition MLA-2500.  It seems like a
straightforward modification, but I am somewhat concerned
about comments I have seen regarding the ability of the
power supply to handle these tubes.  What is it about these
particular tubes that would put an extra strain on the power
supply?  If they aren't driven any harder than the original
8875's or a pair of 8874's, what difference would it make?
I could use different tubes but I happen to have a good pair
of 3CX800A7's so I'm inclined to move forward if the power
supply can handle it.

I have no desire to push the modified amplifier to power
levels beyond its capacity, but I would like to comfortably
run the amp at the legal limit if the power supply and tank
circuit can handle it.

Have you done this particular modification before?  Is the
power supply up to the task?  If not, what can be done to
improve its shortcomings?

73, Bob K6ZZ