[Amps] Silly (use of) variac question

Vic K2VCO vic at rakefet.com
Fri Jan 20 00:23:28 EST 2006

Vic K2VCO wrote:

> The green wire should go to the chassis of the amp.  It does not connect
> to the variac (unless the variac is in a box which you could ground
> too).  The black and white wires go across the whole variac coil.  The
> two non-ground wires to the amp go to one side of the variac coil and
> the movable tap.

On re-reading this, I should add that it might be a good idea to connect
the ground wire to the body of the variac (even if it isn't in a box) as
well as the chassis of the amp.  That way if there is some kind of short
there won't be a voltage between the variac and the chassis (or any
other grounded object).
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco