[Amps] Silly (use of) variac question

Vic K2VCO vic at rakefet.com
Fri Jan 20 00:15:14 EST 2006

Scott Townley wrote:
> OK...gonna slowly bring up an old amp that runs on 240VAC only.  I
> have 240VAC into the shack and a 240VAC variac (Powerstat model 246).
> I went to hook it up and...I can't figure it out :-( The wall socket
> is 120-0-120 of course, and that's what the amp expects too (3-wire
> black-white-green).  How does the ground (green) wire play with the
> variac in line?

The green wire should go to the chassis of the amp.  It does not connect
to the variac (unless the variac is in a box which you could ground
too).  The black and white wires go across the whole variac coil.  The
two non-ground wires to the amp go to one side of the variac coil and
the movable tap.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco