[Amps] Silly (use of) variac question

Scott Townley nx7u at cox.net
Thu Jan 19 23:55:21 EST 2006

OK...gonna slowly bring up an old amp that runs on 240VAC only.  I have 240VAC into the shack and a 240VAC variac (Powerstat model 246).  I went to hook it up and...I can't figure it out :-(
The wall socket is 120-0-120 of course, and that's what the amp expects too (3-wire black-white-green).  How does the ground (green) wire play with the variac in line?  The only obvious alternative to me is to ignore the green wire altogether but that doesn't seem like such a hot idea.
Suggestions on how to do it right/safely?
TIA,
Scott NX7U
PS Of all the AMPS subjects, I never thought *this* would have hung me up :-(

Scott Townley NX7U
Gilbert, AZ  DM43di