[Amps] Tuned Input

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Fri Jan 20 11:39:28 EST 2006

         It just occurred to me that if you shunted the input of the
amplifier with a capacitance who's reactance is say 1/5 of the input
resistance the auto tuner will try to match it and thus you will get a Q of
about 5. It would require switching capacitors but one capacitor could
easily cover an octave in frequency.
It's possible that one capacitor could serve to cover a 9:1 range say from
3.5 to 29.7 MHz but it might. That would be a Q say 3 on 80 meters and 27
on the top 10 meters. The only down side of the high Q is that the auto
tuner would be retuning more often.  If you want 160 to 10 meter coverage
you could get by with only 2 capacitors. One for 160 to 40 meters and one
for 40 to 10 meters. Each  only a 4:1 range.
     These L-tuners work well with capacitive loads but usually associates
with a lower resistance such as the impedances encountered in short (length
less than 1/4th wavelength) vertical antennas.

73
Bill wa4lav