[Amps] What blower?

gdaught6@stanford.edu gdaught6 at stanford.edu
Sat Jan 28 12:18:07 EST 2006

On 27 Jan 2006 at 21:51, Gary Smith wrote:

> The name of the heat melt stick is either "Templestick" or
> "Templestik."  We used them on the railroad to detect hot bearings on
> freight cars.  They can be had in a variety of temperature melting
> points.

That's certainly how the word sounds, but the spelling is
"Tempilstik".  And there are also little jars of lacquer, called,
logically, "Tempilaq".

The problem is that to estimate the actual temperature one needs a
whole spectrum of crayons/paints.  However, getting crayons of 150,
200, and 250 degrees C should make it possible to determine whether
you're EXCEEDING the tube manufacturer's limits.

Some day I will post a long lecture about all the fuss over fan
noise.  Short of an ear-splitting siren, who CARES about fan noise?
If the tubes are cool, they are happy.  If the tubes are happy, I'm
happy.

If blower noise bothers you, put a really big one outside the shack,
and use dryer exhaust hose or similar to bring the air from the
blower to your amplifier.

I use headphones ALL of the time.

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT