[Amps] What blower?

m.ford k1ern at direcway.com
Sat Jan 28 13:52:47 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: <gdaught6 at stanford.edu>
To: <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2006 12:18 PM
Subject: Re: [Amps] What blower?

> On 27 Jan 2006 at 21:51, Gary Smith wrote:
>
>> The name of the heat melt stick is either "Templestick" or
>> "Templestik."  We used them on the railroad to detect hot bearings on
>> freight cars.  They can be had in a variety of temperature melting
>> points.
>
> That's certainly how the word sounds, but the spelling is
> "Tempilstik".  And there are also little jars of lacquer, called,
> logically, "Tempilaq".
>
> The problem is that to estimate the actual temperature one needs a
> whole spectrum of crayons/paints.  However, getting crayons of 150,
> 200, and 250 degrees C should make it possible to determine whether
> you're EXCEEDING the tube manufacturer's limits.
>
> Some day I will post a long lecture about all the fuss over fan
> noise.  Short of an ear-splitting siren, who CARES about fan noise?
> If the tubes are cool, they are happy.  If the tubes are happy, I'm
> happy.
>
> If blower noise bothers you, put a really big one outside the shack,
> and use dryer exhaust hose or similar to bring the air from the
> blower to your amplifier.
>
> I use headphones ALL of the time.
>
> 73,
>
> George T. Daughters, K6GT

I like the sound of a serious blower. Kinda adds an air of danger
to the beast. The person listening on the other end may not agree.
I use a audio spectrum analyzer to see the offending tones.
That way I can quickly adjust my filtering with precision.
Blowers leave some surprising signatures. An interesting noise
that I encounter often is the 400 hz whine from airborne stations.
The spike is prominent and you can darn near set your operating
freq by it plus or minus the slight doppler shift. I am told that some
of them use alternators while others use inverters. In any case, it is
not the radio at fault but the numerous mechanical systems that are