[Amps] use of Emtron DX-2 during contest/expedition

w6duv w6duv at planet.nl
Thu Nov 1 16:59:14 EST 2007

I would suggest to run the amplifier @ it's rated 2 kW out.
My experience with other Emtron tetrode amplifiers is that the efficiency
drops significant when they run at a low output power level. The Emtron DX4
for instance will switch to its high rev setting of the fan when used @ 2 kW
while running is at its rated 5 kW level the fan will not rev up.
In my view the temperature balance is reached within 1 or 2 hours, so using
the amp in a 24 h contest or a 48 hour contest should not make any
difference in terms of temperature rise.

Cheers, Dick
PA3DUV
W6DUV