[Amps] LK 500 ZA bandswitch

jeremy-ca km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Thu Oct 25 15:08:43 EDT 2007

Mouser can get you a new switch for $226 ! I just bought one for a customer
repair. Part # is E4C0408N and neither Mouser or Electroswitch was
interested in supplying just a wafer.

The problem is not the fixed caps, Ive never seen one go, even tho the same
ones are used in the 2500W LK-800A.

Look at the switch and you will see that there is almost no spacing between
the solder terminals and the metal hardware. A little bit of mistuning and
ZAP. If the Tune cap has also been arcing that is another indication of
serious mistuning.

The contacts themselves are staked in place. Its easy to drill out but once
a serious carbon path has developed it is there to stay. The switch I
replaced was so bad that the end where the threaded rod goes thru was eaten
away.
Replacing with an unused contact will also require trying to hold in place
with a hard solder. IMO its a short term solution as the switching will
eventually loosen it up.

When installing a new switch or wafer use a fiberglass, Delrin or similar
nut and no washer. Epoxy an insulating material between the solder contact
and the nut. I use a hunk of old PC board with no copper on it.

The Tune cap is a bolt together job, I have replacement plates.

Carl
KM1H