[Amps] Asynchronous coax matching transformer

Larry Benko xxw0qe at comcast.net
Sat Aug 1 08:59:05 PDT 2009

Hi Ian & Carl,

Actually given only 50 ohm and 75 ohm coax and not paralleling any coax
you can match all resistive impedances between 50 and 112.5 (75*75/50) ohms.

e.g.
50 ohms ---- 29.3 deg. 75 ohm coax ----- 29.3 deg 50 ohm coax -----  75
ohms (as shown by the 1/12 wave match)
50 ohms ---- 40.5 deg. 75 ohm coax ----- 23.8 deg 50 ohm coax -----  85 ohms
50 ohms ---- 58.3 deg. 75 ohm coax ----- 14.9 deg 50 ohm coax ----- 100 ohms
50 ohms ---- 90.0 deg. 75 ohm coax -----  0.0 deg 50 ohm coax -----
112.5 ohms (std 1/4 wave match)

Also many reactive impedances are also easily matched
e.g.
50 ohms ---- 42.6 deg. 75 ohm coax ----- 10.3 deg 50 ohm coax ----- 75 -
j20 ohms

For a matching over a small range of frequencies transmission lines work
well.

73,
Larry, W0QE