[Amps] 240V Outlet

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Aug 11 00:27:48 PDT 2009

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 22:59:50 -0700 (PDT), jimsmitheguard-a at yahoo.com
wrote:

>You should not change the outlets. NEMA 5-20P plugs come installed
>only on equipment drawing just under 15 amperes up to 20 amperes.
>If the equipment draws this much current, it should have a
>dedicated circuit. Using NEMA 5-20R receptacles for general purpose
>outlets invites you to easily overload the circuit. All you have to
>do is plug in two items using this configuration.

You have a rather limited view of a world that far more varied than
you imagine. I work in the world of pro audio, and there are many
occasions where a product may be rated for 20A service but have very
dynamic load requirements and draw FAR less current in real world
applications. Audio power amplifiers are a good example -- a big
power amp may draw 15-18A with both channels near clip on sine waves
or very dense audio, but operating them under those conditions would
be VERY rare outside of a test lab. Another example is a series mode
surge suppression rated for 20A, with a 20A plug. There are MANY
other examples that could be cited, none of which justfiy a
dedicated circuit for a single product ONLY because it has a 20A
plug.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC