[Amps] LCR meter

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 1 07:53:32 PDT 2010

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 03:14:44 -0700, "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom at telus.net>
wrote:

>##  rauch claims the stray C  [Xc] between turns of a coil will negate
>from the coil itself   [Xl].   If that's the case, then why is it, that when I compress
>the turns  together  on any tubing coil, the uh  goes WAY up ?

REPLY:

Simple. In an air core solenoid-wound coil, any given turn is coupled
tightest to adjacent turns, then less and less to each turn as you
move away from that turn. When you compress the coil, you increase the
coupling between all the turns. On a long, skinny coil, the turns at
the very ends barely "see" each other.

By comparison, when you add an iron core you are creating a magnetic
conductor, so to speak, that couples all the turns tightly to each
other. That's why an iron core increases inductance so dramatically.

73, Bill W6WRT