[Amps] EBS.. does it even work with VOX SSB ??

Jim Thomson Jim.thom at telus.net
Thu Apr 22 02:50:32 PDT 2010

For you folks out there with EBS.. that can actually disable it, does it really save any heat ?

I'm thinking primarily of VOX SSB.    I can see EBS  working on PTT.. but not very well, or if at all.. on VOX SSB.

The few fellows who I have visited that had older alpha's  with ebs... none of em worked on ptt.   The background
noise was enough  to generate 100 mw  from the xcvr.. and trip the ebs... rendering it ineffective.  IMO... ebs
needs at the very least... either a boom mic.. or a noise gate.

On CW.. I wouldn't even bother with EBS.  I'd  just crank the bias V way up... and reduce the ZSAC  down to just
 a few ma.

Can anybody say that EBS  actually saves heat, with VOX  ssb.. vs  EBS disabled ??   If it worked.. even a little
bit... it might have merit on tubes operating with real high idle current.   I have yet to see an ebs system work right.
My buddy down the street  had an AL-80B... but the EBS was doa.. right when he got the amp..new.  It drew 100 ma zsac
from day 1.   He since sold it... and the ebs never was repaired.

Are these EBS systems  supposed to work.. between syllable's.. or just between words ??  If it's just between words.. I can't
see any heat savings...except for perhaps.. between very last word spoken... and just prior to VOX dropping out.
With typ VOX delays of say 250-400 msecs... I still can't see much in the way of real heat savings.

Later...... Jim   VE7RF